Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Beginning of a Walt Disney World Career

Dear Walt Disney World Fans,
   After being back in New England for the past five almost six years from a two year stint protecting the magic as a Walt Disney World Security Host, I've decided to put my experiences into words for myself as a kind of memoir and to share with the many Walt Disney World fans who would like to know, what it's like to work for Walt Disney World.
   This blog is intended to share my experiences and to enlighten future cast members on what to expect and how to become a cast member. To fans of Walt Disney World who don't particularly want to pull up stakes and move to central Florida, this blog is meant to share what we all love: The Walt Disney World experience!  
Here I am protecting the magic at the Polynesian Resort

   I moved from Methuen, Massachusetts, a town about 25 miles north of Boston to Kissimmee, Florida in September 2002 after learning that my mom had cancer.
   We had visited WDW in 2000 and I had been asolutely smitten by all that WDW and the surrounding area had to offer so when mom got sick, my wife and I and our four kids and our dog Hunter sold our house and packed up the van and rented truck and headed to Kissimmee where mom lived.
   Once we were settled I headed over to Casting on WDW property and filled out the application and had my initial interview on the spot.
   After several months of not hearing and calling, the usual routine when you really want the job, I was finally contacted and offered the job of Security Host!
   What happened next was a day of Traditions and two weeks of intense security training incorporating everything from proper use of a radio, the Disney "scoop" and the open palm and two fingered point to how to save someone's life with an automatic external defibrillator.
   All that next time. Until then: Have a magical day!

No comments:

Post a Comment